Thursday, June 24, 2010

And work goes on

Well, it quit raining today, so we've gotten back to work. Jack disappeared this morning, obstensively to make the rounds to the neighbors and deal with the remaining bandit corpses I suppose.

Annabelle helped me move the goats over to fresh grazing land and she milked Steaksupper. Way better at it then me. This afternoon we have to get to weeding the garden. I'm keeping my rifle close at hand - but no one's ever shown Annabelle how to shoot - I'm jusre Jack will see to that soon enough if she stays around.

She doesn't talk much just yet - not that I blame her, considering what she's survived.

I guess we've inherited a horse and cart. Gonna have to figure out how to squeeze the horse into the animal shelter, and what we'll do with the cart when we aren't using it.

And it appears there are other people out there. To Rose... Jack isn't really my uncle. Not by blood anyway. Long story and I might tell it some day - but he was a friend of my family before my parents died. Zombie got them. I don't really remember much, and don't like talking about it. At this point, I'll settle for being alive. Better then being one of the other two options, anyway.

It sounds to me, not that I have much experience in the matter like your being shaken down by a thug, or gang of thugs. If you can't fight back your only real option there is to perserver. But at least if it were me, I'd strongly consider shooting the bastard, and his friends. No one should have to live under someone elses heel, even in the days like today.

Out here you don't meet many who are adverse to such anymore - but it does happen. Typically they don't survive long. Someone comes at you wanting to take what you earned the hard way - you can't talk them out, or just let them take. You gotta show them whats yours is yours. Ain't fun. I know that now - but sometimes you gotta do it.

Tonight I gotta start tearing down them rifles. Look like AK knockoffs. Dunno what we're gonna do with them, but it'll be a good project.

More tomorrow if the sun stays out today.

1 comment:

  1. Shoot them and their friends? Sorry if this sounds mean, but that's easy for you to say. We don't like that they don't give us a choice, but I have to admit, they do keep any other thugs from coming for us. Plus they just take some of our earnings, they don't kill and destroy like those bandits of yours.

    You're very lucky to have Jack around every day. My father goes out on his boat for days or weeks and I end up stuck at home with Grandma. Luckily I do know how to shoot. My father taught me. Grandma didn't like that and said it wasn't what a girl should learn, but my father put his foot down. Still, if some bandits came by and that gang wasn't around, I'd end up like your new friend Annabelle, or worse. If Father didn't have to go on his long trips, it might be a different story.

    You said something about writing more if the sun stays out. Do you have some kind of solar power? We have a water wheel and something my father calls a badry.

    Well, I'd better go, Grandma's going to be coming back inside soon, and writing to strangers on the keyboard is something else she says girls don't do.

    ReplyDelete